Leadership for New Managers in Government
Thursday, 14 & 21 September 2023 | 10:00am – 2:30pm AEST | Online
Key skills to help you transition from a specialist team member to an inspiring team leader
Are you a new manager and finding it hard to adjust to managing a team?
Were you a high-performing specialist and presently find yourself struggling with the feeling of a loss of control that comes with managing other people?
Do you find yourself stuck when it comes to creating accountability, credibility and trust among your former peers?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you are not alone. According to a recent study:
• 26% of first-time managers felt they were not ready to lead others to begin with.
• Almost 60% said they never received any training when they transitioned into their first leadership role.
This course is a perfect kick-start to your management career. It has been developed for new managers and will help you transition from teammate to a highly capable and successful leader. With a mix of management principles, coaching and motivation, practical operational managerial tasks and interactive group exercises – this course will provide you with actionable skills that enable you to mitigate the challenges of being a new leader.
You will learn ways to build credibility and trust, you’ll discover how to cultivate positive workplace relationships, provide direction and motivate your team with clear objectives in mind. You will also learn about different leadership styles and practice assessing situations, so you can choose and apply ‘best fit’ leadership styles.
Who Should Attend
Project Managers, Team Leader, Manager, Assistant Director, Director
Acting Team Leader, Acting Manager, Acting Assistant Director, Acting Director
From the following functions:
HR, People Services, Corporate services, Project Management, Customer Service, IT, Digital
Smoothen your transition from team member to team leader
Build essential leadership and management skills to become an effective team leader
Gain insights to inform your leadership style and management journey
Understand how you can better manage your self to lead others
Meet Your Facilitator
Malcolm Dawes is the most sought-after authority on people performance and effectiveness. He is a recognised expert in showing people how to increase their interaction effectiveness through behavioural change. For many years, Malcolm has experienced first-hand the struggles senior executives face with accelerating the performance of their teams. More recently he has worked with organisations on emotional intelligence and resilience through the global pandemic.
Malcolm has appeared on a host of radio and TV interviews; in The Australian Financial Review Business Magazine and had articles published in numerous journals. Malcolm has been a guest speaker at conferences and seminars around the world; and has been a judge of the PRIME Awards since their inception in 2005.
In his latest book “Team Performance: Why Can’t We All Get Along?” Malcolm dispels ten myths that many senior executives have about unlocking the true potential of their teams. He highlights the core issues of human nature and shows how understanding behaviours as a leader and co-worker is the key to team success.
Leadership and Management
- Understanding Different Leadership Styles and Their Impact
- What kind of leader do you want to be: Understanding how you wish to be perceived and received?
- Unpacking different leadership style and their impact on productivity, motivation and well-being
- Identifying your strengths and leaning into them as a leader
- How to adjust your approach for the situation at hand
- Management Vs. Leadership
- Understanding the difference between management and leadership
- Adapting good management principles to facilitate strategic leadership
- Mastering management essentials to kick start your leadership journey
Transitioning from Specialist to Leader
- The Common Challenges faced by New Managers
- Mapping out the challenges and obstacles faced by new managers
- Addressing the added complexity of working with hybrid and remote teams
- Preparing and planning to overcome the challenges ahead
- Avoiding the common traps such as micromanaging
- What you Need to Know When Transitioning from Team Member to Team Leader
- Recognize differences and clarify responsibilities
- Adapting to the change in scope and depth of responsibilities and role
- How to go from colleague to boss: The Dos and Don’ts
- Breakout Group Activity: Aligning Operational Management to Enable Strategic Leadership
Uplifting your Team
- Management Essentials for New Leaders
- Managing yourself to be a better leader
- Creative decision-making and problem-solving
- Building Trust and Credibility
- How to communicate to build trust
- Building credibility in your team
- Cultivating a positive work environment
- Goal-Setting and Motivating your Team
- Discussing effective methods for staff motivation
- The importance of setting clear goals for operational outcomes
- How to navigate different personality types
- Giving Feedback and Holding People to Account
- How to provide constructive feedback
- What to avoid doing when providing constructive feedback
- Dealing with challenging situation
- Breakout Group Activity: Planning the Next Steps of Your Leadership Development Journey
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses
- Setting your goals and priorities
- Practical next steps