Strategic Coaching Skills for Managers
Inspiring, Motivating and Leading Effective Teams
24 & 31 May 2024
11:15 AM to 3:00 PM EST
Next intake: 24 & 31 May 2024 | 11:15 AM to 3:00 PM EST
As a manager, you knew what needed to be done, you taught others how it’s done, and you evaluated their performance. The predominant approach was command and control, aiming to direct and develop employees for a solid grasp of the business and the
ability to replicate past successes.
Today, however, the landscape has changed significantly. Rapid, constant, and disruptive changes are now the standard, making past successes an unreliable guide for the future. Managers in the 21st century acknowledge they don’t have all the definitive answers. To address this new reality, companies are transitioning away from traditional command-and-control practices toward a model where
managers offer enhanced support and guidance, steering away from rigid instructions. Employees are encouraged to adapt to ever-changing environments, fostering renewed energy, innovation, and commitment.
The role of the manager, in short, is becoming that of a coach. This enhanced communication training ensures clarity and improves employee performance. Focus on team development optimizes productivity. Commitment to performance management purpose, while emphasis on continuous improvement addresses long-term talent retention. In essence, this training empowers managers to address specific improvement areas, creating a more efficient and harmonious work environment.
- Create a toolkit with powerful communication strategies, including active listening and impactful questioning, to elevate team coaching.
- Master timely and specific feedback and explore motivational strategies for peak performance.
- Hone your communication skills for clear expectations and feedback, ensuring alignment and motivation within your team.
Who Should Attend?This program will benefit leaders heading cross-functional teams from across all levels of government.
Strategic Coaching Skills for Managers
- Evolution to Coaching Model: Managers are shifting from command-and-control to a coaching approach, acknowledging the need for enhanced support and guidance in the face of rapid changes.
- Adapting to Uncertainty: In the 21st century, managers recognize the unreliability of past successes as guides for the future. Employees are encouraged to adapt to dynamic environments, fostering innovation and commitment.
- Communication Training for Performance: The shift to coaching involves communication training for clarity, improved employee performance, and optimized productivity. Emphasis on performance management and continuous improvement aims for a more efficient work environment.
No previous experience necessary
Get this course using credits with a Premium subscription. Learn more
This course requires 1 credit.
Day 1 focuses on coaching fundamentals, including the importance of coaching, creating a coaching culture, and understanding conscious leadership. Participants learn practical coaching tools, and skills for culture building, and engage in interactive activities. After a break, Day 1 continues with Module 2, exploring difficult conversations, common traps, and strategies to navigate them effectively.
Day 2 begins with Module 3, delving into goal setting, prioritization, and delivering feedback. Attendees explore markers of effective goals, cascading goals in teams, and practical activities with real goals. After a break, Module 3 continues with outcomes, exploring how to achieve desired results and engaging in outcome worksheets and discussions. The course concludes with Module 4, covering time management, feedback, and performance discussions, including an emphasis on executing priorities, delivering feedback, and practicing these skills in pairs.
Coaching in Organizations
• Why coaching is important in organizations
• What is coaching and a coaching culture
• Who are Conscious Leaders: coaching ourselves before we coach others
• Reflection exercise
Coaching Tools and Skills
• Coaching tools (7 essential questions, 3 levels of listening, 3P model)
• Coaching skills for culture building (whole person, creating safety, failure)
• Interactive practice activity
Traps that Make a Conversation Difficult
• Group reflection and integration
• Introduction to difficult conversations – common “traps” that make a conversation difficult
• Start with presence
• “Drama Class” activity
Feedback and Motivation
• Integration – “Drama Class” presentations and shares
• Techniques for managing difficult conversations
• Tools for constructive feedback and motivation
Reflections and Takeaways
• Worksheet for preparing to engage in a difficult conversation
• Tying it all together: shares and takeaways
• Markers of effective goals
• How goals can be cascaded in teams and organizations
• Activity with real goals
• Taking it deeper – how to achieve desired outcomes
• Outcome worksheet and shares
Feedback and Performance Discussion
• Executing on priorities – Time Management Matrix
• Whiteboard activity and discussion
• Delivering feedback on the performance discussion
• Tie-in with coaching and difficult conversation skills
• Practice in pairs and shares
Join this training for professionals working within the Public Sector
Pay for individual courses
Early Bird 1
Ends 15 Mar
$595per person + tax $400 saving
Early Bird 2
Ends 19 Apr
$795per person + tax $200 saving
$995per person + tax
Additional discounts are available for group registrations of 10 or more. For group or payment enquiries or custom training solutions, please contact [email protected]
Achieve great value with our customised subscription plans.
Become a member today and upgrade to Premium to access training credits and much more...
Unlock public content, complimentary events, training courses and vital Insights$0 per year Join Now
Exclusive Basic Member Benefits:
- Access benchmark case studies and deep dive white papers and reports
- Connect & collaborate with public sector peers
- Discover and explore solutions tailored for government in Marketplace
Enhance your learning experience with our Premium Services$A 2895 + GST for 12 months Get Started
Includes all Basic Member Benefits, plus:
- Masterclasses: Complimentary signup for ANY available Masterclasses in your region, including exclusive masterclass content
- 4 training credits* which can be used to cover up to 4 courses
- Access to 'private çommunity of practice' groups for your masterclass or courses
Team up to take your learning to the next level
Includes all Basic and Premium Member Benefits, plus:
- Dedicated account manager
- Tailor-made training programs with flexible training credits which can be shared across your team across many courses.
- Access to 'private çommunity of practice' for team members who have signed up for specific masterclasses or courses
* Most full-day Public Sector Network courses (which may be split over two days) will require one credit. Most two day courses (which may be split over multiple days) will require two credits. Check the details for individual courses
Customised in-house options available for teams
Interested in any of our online trainings?
You can also choose to have them delivered in house. We will work closely with our inspiring session facilitators to tailor the content around the key development areas your team are prioritising, shape the learning outcomes around your core departmental challenges and make the most of your L&D and upskilling budget.Enquire here for more information