Social Media for Government
Empower citizens, build trust: Mastering social media strategies for government engagement.
Wednesday, 8 & 15 May 2024
10:00am - 2:30pm AEST
Next intake: Wednesday, 8 & 15 May 2024 | 10:00am - 2:30pm AEST
In 2023, Australia’s 26 million population sees 21 million internet users, with 18 million active on social media, comprising almost 70% of the population. This highlights social media’s crucial role in government communication. As demographic shifts, including nearly half of Australians being born overseas or having immigrant parents, reshape the landscape, effective communication and engagement with diverse communities become imperative. The course equips participants to create empathetic content, fostering trust and constructive discussions, tailored for evolving social media dynamics.
Who Should Attend?This course is designed for designers, specialists, editors, and officers, in charge of transforming all three levels of government, including:
Social Media for Government
- Stay updated with evolving social media trends.
- Enhance social media strategies for trust-building and public dialogue.
- Create engaging content for diverse audiences.
View course modules
No previous experience necessary
Get this course using credits with a Premium subscription. Learn more
This course requires 1 credit.
The role of social media in government
• Historical and current context of social media use in government
• Evaluating the potential and challenges of social media for government communication
Creating engaging, empathetic content for diverse audiences
• Understanding the diverse Australian social media landscape
• Identifying audience demographics and tailoring content appropriately
Navigating different social media platforms
• Overview of various platforms and their unique features
• Strategic use of platforms based on audience demographics and content type
Understanding your themes, values and voice based on your audience and objectives
• Understanding what your key themes and topics are
• Identifying who your internal and external stakeholders are
• Identifying where the roadblocks are to approvals
• Forming this into an effective social communications strategy
Activity: Creating a multi-platform content strategy identifying key stakeholders and addressing bottlenecks
• Identify your key themes
• Identify your key stakeholders
• Identify your values and voice
• Where are the bottlenecks and what can be done to work better with them?
• How does this look as a strategy for your social communications?
Finding a balance: Protocol vs. Openness
• Balancing openness and protocol in government social media communication
• Strategies for fostering healthy online community engagement
Crisis Management in Social Media Communication
• Handling negative feedback and misinformation online
• Strategies for maintaining credibility during crises
Social Networking vs Creator Media
• How usage of social media has changed since 2018
• Leaning into how social media is being used now
Forming a Content Strategy
• Themes, Values and the Questions to Answer
• Planning evergreen and seasonal content
Meet Your Facilitator
Dante St James
Trainer and Digital Expert, Clickstarter
Dante St James, a digital expert from Clickstarter, brings over a decade of experience guiding government agencies, non-profits, NGOs, and businesses through digital transformation. As a sought-after small business advisor, he holds accreditations in various roles, including Meta Lead Trainer and Community Manager. Dante’s national reach includes collaborations with the Northern Territory Government and Commonwealth’s Digital Solutions, offering insights on social media, search optimisation, public speaking, personal branding, and copywriting.
Join this training for professionals working within the Public Sector
Pay for individual courses
Ends 22 Mar
$995per person + tax 16% saving
Ends 7 May
$1195per person + tax
Additional discounts are available for group registrations of 10 or more. For group or payment enquiries or custom training solutions, please contact [email protected]
Achieve great value with our customised subscription plans.
Become a member today and upgrade to Premium to access training credits and much more...
Unlock public content, complimentary events, training courses and vital Insights$0 per year Join Now
Exclusive Basic Member Benefits:
- Access benchmark case studies and deep dive white papers and reports
- Connect & collaborate with public sector peers
- Discover and explore solutions tailored for government in Marketplace
Enhance your learning experience with our Premium Services$A 2895 + GST for 12 months Get Started
Includes all Basic Member Benefits, plus:
- Masterclasses: Complimentary signup for ANY available Masterclasses in your region, including exclusive masterclass content
- 4 training credits* which can be used to cover up to 4 courses
- Access to 'private çommunity of practice' groups for your masterclass or courses
Team up to take your learning to the next level
Includes all Basic and Premium Member Benefits, plus:
- Dedicated account manager
- Tailor-made training programs with flexible training credits which can be shared across your team across many courses.
- Access to 'private çommunity of practice' for team members who have signed up for specific masterclasses or courses
* Most full-day Public Sector Network courses (which may be split over two days) will require one credit. Most two day courses (which may be split over multiple days) will require two credits. Check the details for individual courses
Customised in-house options available for teams
Interested in any of our online trainings?
You can also choose to have them delivered in house. We will work closely with our inspiring session facilitators to tailor the content around the key development areas your team are prioritising, shape the learning outcomes around your core departmental challenges and make the most of your L&D and upskilling budget.Enquire here for more information