Leadership for New Managers in Government
October 24 & 31 2023 | 10:00am – 1:30pm EST | Online
Key skills to help you transition from a specialist team member to an inspiring team leader
Are you a new manager and finding it hard to adjust to managing a team?
Were you a high-performing specialist and presently find yourself struggling with the feeling of a loss of control that comes with managing other people?
Do you find yourself stuck when it comes to creating accountability, credibility and trust among your former peers?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you are not alone. According to a recent study:
• 26% of first-time managers felt they were not ready to lead others to begin with.
• Almost 60% said they never received any training when they transitioned into their first leadership role.
This course is a perfect kick-start to your management career. It has been developed for new managers and will help you transition from a teammate to a highly capable and successful leader. With a mix of management principles, coaching and motivation, practical operational managerial tasks and interactive group exercises – this course will provide you with actionable skills that enable you to mitigate the challenges of being a new leader.
You will learn ways to build credibility and trust, you’ll discover how to cultivate positive workplace relationships, provide direction and motivate your team with clear objectives in mind. You will also learn about different leadership styles and practice assessing situations, so you can choose and apply ‘best fit’ leadership styles.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for individuals who have recently transitioned into a managerial role including:
Newly Promoted Managers and Emerging Leaders
Junior Managers, and Supervisors, or Team Leads.
Identify the obstacles faced by new managers and mitigative steps that you can take to overcome them.
Learn how to build trust and credibility with clear and effective communication
Understand how you can motivate your team with
collaborative goal setting.
Gain insights on how to deliver constructive feedback and create accountability.
Start building your leadership brand and set up an ongoing development plan.
Create a positive work environment that delivers
greater employee wellbeing
Meet Your Facilitator
Irma Vartanian is an Intercultural Competence Trainer with more than 25 years of experience in the corporate world. She’s an expert in the fields of People Skills for Leaders, and Communication across cultures.
A global citizen, based in Canada, a keynote speaker, author, and columnist, Irma has worked and lived in Europe, the UK, the US, and the Middle East. Irma is the President of SIETAR BC in Canada, currently serves on several international boards with loyalty, integrity, empathy & commitment, and volunteers as a Mentor for emerging women leaders & entrepreneurs.
Irma’s knowledge and expertise are supported by a Bachelor’s in Pure Mathematics, an MBA from Imperial College, and an MA in Protocol and Soft Diplomacy. She’s a Licensed ICQ Global DISC and Growth Zone practitioner; a Certified Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Executive, and Cornell Certified for
Women in Leadership.
In today’s world, companies and organizations thrive on multiculturalism. Irma believes that communication is at the core of any successful and effective collaboration. This calls for customized intercultural competence training for government officials, and public sector agents. With this in mind, Irma has designed a cross-cultural communication course to develop stakeholders’ engagement and exude trust while sustaining equitable and
inclusive outcomes among multicultural and diverse communities.
Management and Leadership
Understanding Different Leadership Styles
- Discussion – Icebreaker
- Understand and Unlock your Leadership Potential
- Unpacking different leadership styles and their impact
- Personal-Awareness – Key concepts for effective new managers
- How to leverage your strengths as a leader
- Self-Reflection Activity
Management VS Leadership
- Understanding the difference between Managementand Leadership
- Going from colleague to boss: The Do’s and Don’ts
- Identifying Key Challenges facing New Managers
Transitioning into a Leadership Role
Creating a Psychologically Safe Environment for Productive and Effective Engagements
- Building Trust and Confidence within Teams
- Creating a Psychologically Safe workspace
- Self-Reflection Activity
- How to Become an Intentionally Inclusive Leader
- Strategies for Managing Diverse Teams
Elevating Your Team
Cultivating a Positive Work Environment
- The importance of Empathy for New Managers
- Motivational Drive to Foster Effectiveness and Productivity
- Understanding the impact of Micro-affirmation
- Group Activity
Honing your Leadership Skills
- The Body Language of a Leader
- Understanding the different Personality Types in your Team
- Conflict Management
- Giving/Receiving Feedback Properly
- Applying the lessons learned