Leadership for New Managers in Government
October 24 & 31 2023 | 10:00am – 1:30pm EST | Online
Key skills to help you transition from a specialist team member to an inspiring team leader
Are you a new manager and finding it hard to adjust to managing a team?
Were you a high-performing specialist and presently find yourself struggling with the feeling of a loss of control that comes with managing other people?
Do you find yourself stuck when it comes to creating accountability, credibility and trust among your former peers?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you are not alone. According to a recent study:
• 26% of first-time managers felt they were not ready to lead others to begin with.
• Almost 60% said they never received any training when they transitioned into their first leadership role.
This course is a perfect kick-start to your management career. It has been developed for new managers and will help you transition from a teammate to a highly capable and successful leader. With a mix of management principles, coaching and motivation, practical operational managerial tasks and interactive group exercises – this course will provide you with actionable skills that enable you to mitigate the challenges of being a new leader.
You will learn ways to build credibility and trust, you’ll discover how to cultivate positive workplace relationships, provide direction and motivate your team with clear objectives in mind. You will also learn about different leadership styles and practice assessing situations, so you can choose and apply ‘best fit’ leadership styles.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for individuals who have recently transitioned into a managerial role including:
Newly Promoted Managers and Emerging Leaders
Junior Managers, and Supervisors, or Team Leads.
Identify the obstacles faced by new managers and mitigative steps that you can take to overcome them.
Learn how to build trust and credibility with clear and effective communication
Understand how you can motivate your team with
collaborative goal setting.
Gain insights on how to deliver constructive feedback and create accountability.
Start building your leadership brand and set up an ongoing development plan.
Create a positive work environment that delivers
greater employee wellbeing
Meet Your Facilitator
Priya Sodha, Executive Trainer & DEI professional, has been facilitating transformational workshops and training for over 10 years. Priya specializes in leadership development, communication, diversity, equity and inclusion, and people-focused leadership; and is passionate about this work because she truly believes in human connection. Priya has served as a DEI Coach, trainer & consultant for companies such as BetterUp, Assemble, NPower, California Rec & Park, and more. Prior to corporate training, Priya earned her Master’s in
Organizational Change Management at The New School, in New York City and a BA in Sociology at California State University of Long Beach, where she specialized in interaction and group relations. Her work has led her to serve as an Executive Director for the Youth Business Alliance & Director of DEI at a California-based Community College.
Priya is a Certified Professional Group Coach and holds a certificate in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion from Muma College of Business. She is also an active #IamRemarkable Facilitator, a Google initiative where she speaks on the topic of self-promotion in the workplace, and most recently spoke at The Women of Silicon Valley Conference on DEIB in the workplace. In her most recent work with education-based colleges in CA, she was highlighted as a trainer “who cares about her participants, which is seen through her engaging content and applicable activities during her sessions.”
Priya currently lives in Southern California. Fun fact: When Priya is not working, you can find her teaching Zumba/Yoga.
Leadership and Management
- Understanding Different Leadership Styles and Their Impact
- What kind of leader do you want to be: Understanding how you wish to be perceived and received?
- Unpacking different leadership style and their impact on productivity, motivation and well-being
- Identifying your strengths and leaning into them as a leader
- How to adjust your approach for the situation at hand
- Management Vs. Leadership
- Understanding the difference between management and leadership
- Adapting good management principles to facilitate strategic leadership
- Mastering management essentials to kick start your leadership journey
Unpacking Common Challenges Faced by New Managers
- Mapping out the challenges and obstacles faced by new managers
- Addressing the added complexity of working with hybrid and remote teams
- Preparing and planning ahead to overcome the challenges ahead
- Avoiding the common traps such micromanaging
Transitioning from Team Member to Team Leader
- Recognizing differences and clarifying responsibilities
- Adapting to the change in scope and depth of responsibilities and role
- Going from colleague to boss: The Do’s and Don’ts
Elevating Your Team: Management Essentials for New Leaders
- Managing yourself to be a better leader
- Creative decision-making and problem solving
Building Trust and Credibility
- How to communicate to build trust
- Building credibility in your team
- Cultivating a positive work environment
Cultivating Productivity: Goal-Setting and Motivating your Team
- Effective methods for staff motivation
- The importance to setting clear goals for operational outcomes
- Understanding the different personality types on your team
Giving Feedback and Holding People to Account
- How to provide constructive feedback
- What is constructive feedback and how to apply it in day-to-day interactions
- Dealing with challenging situations
Breakout Group Activity: Planning the Next Steps of Your Leadership Development Journey
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses
- Setting your goals and priorities
- Practical next steps