Demystifying and Uplifting
Data Governance in Government
July 25th & July 26th, 2023 | 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM EST | Online
Adopting a Proactive Approach that Enables Modernization and User-Centric Initiatives
The lack of modern Data Governance is a big, but catastrophically under-rated problem. With Government organizations across the globe focusing on modernization, governance, and information management have fallen to the wayside.
Data governance is one of the common causes of frustration, friction, delays (and failure) in business transformation. It is absolutely critical that your data governance and information management policies and practices are up-to-date and aligned with ongoing modernization.
This course will take a simple approach to the complex and ever-present problem of data governance. It will equip you with the skills to get on the front-foot by modernizing your principles embedding practices and changing behaviors.
Developed and delivered by pioneers of data governance and information management in the region, it focuses on intuitive practices that are easy to adopt and embed for lasting change.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for heads, directors, assistant directors, managers, and team leaders responsible for managing data and ensuring compliance with data governance policies and regulations including:
Data and Governance Teams
Privacy, Policy and Compliance Teams
Program Managers and Teams
Gain insights that will enable you to Change Behaviors and Practices to Modernize Data Governance in Your Organization
A bespoke, interactive program designed specifically to fix the data governance problems facing the public sector
Learn from a pioneering leader in information management and data governance
Build knowledge on how to optimize your data to drive modernization, transformation, and user-centricity
Meet Your Facilitator
Nigel Schmalkuche is a business and ICT professional with 25 years of experience in guiding government and private organizations through digital business transformation, particularly in the fields of housing and public works, police and emergency services, elections, health, utilities, and financial institutions.
Nigel has a keen talent for connecting the dots between technology, capability and strategy. And he has applied this to develop and embed enterprise architecture practices; shaped strategic roadmaps, upskilled key stakeholders; designed solutions to navigate complex challenges to drive transformational change.
He is a TOGAF 9.2 Certified Enterprise Architect with 17 years of experience in implementing enterprise architecture to achieve business outcomes.
Demystifying Data Governance: What it is and Why it Matters
- Understanding the importance of data governance in government organizations
- What is the benchmark of ‘good’ data governance
- The long-term implications and immediate impact of inadequate governance
Delving into the why of Data Governance and Applying this to Support a Business Case
- The practical and measurable impact of good governance
- Translating the consequences of bad governance to business leaders
- Building a business case
Unpacking your Data and the Data Lifecycle: What Data Needs to be Governed
- Identifying the stages of the data lifecycle
- Understanding the different approaches to governance at each stage
- How does this apply to your own organizations
A Roadmap to Effective Meta Data Management and Making it the Norm
- How to best define meta data and are we on the same page?
- Best practice on meta data capture and representation
- Addressing the operational challenges of capturing meta data and strategies to overcome them
Framing your Data to Drive Better Organizational Outcomes
- Understanding Data Lineage: Map your Data Journey through your IT Systems
- Best Practices to create Data Catalogues, Data Libraries and other usable assets
- How to Improve Data Usability to deliver better outcomes for your organization; from data sharing, privacy, digital transformation for greater user outcomes
Improving Data Access, Security and Quality for Modernization
- Discussing key criteria and factors that impact data quality
- Best practices to improve data quality across the organization
- Addressing the Data Security and Access
Who should own Data Governance: Roles and Organizational Structures
- Who is best placed to own data governance: Discussing the pros and cons
- Understanding with different structures
- How to Identify the best approach for your organization
Data as a Product and Data in Data Lakes: Optimizing your Data for your Organization
- How to optimize the utility and usability of your data
- What is Data-as-a-Product and its role in government
- Setting up and optimizing your data lakes for your organization
Assessing your Data Governance Maturity
- Understanding the data maturity scale; key factors and influences
- How to measure data governance maturity in your own organization
- Discussing strategies to close the gaps
Creating and Implementing a Data Governance Roadmap
- Closing the Gaps and Optimizing your strengths
- Building a Business Case
- Embedding effective practices and changing behaviors
Summary and Closing Notes from the Trainer